Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What currency will my salary be in and how often will I get paid?

A. You will receive your salary on a monthly basis paid into your account in Chinese RMB.

Q. Is there an Airport pick-up service?

A. Of course! A member of staff will pick you up from the airport and take you to your apartment, they will support you as much as you need to settle in.

Q. What will happen if I get sick?

A. This is something you do not need to worry about. Your school will provide medical insurance coverage, this will cover you if you become sick or injured.

Q. How long will my contract be?

A. Your contract will be 10 to 12 months depending on your school. Most teachers decide to stay on for longer

Q. What will my living arrangements be?

A. The school will provide you with free accommodation which will be fully furnished to western standards. The schools are often a short distance meaning you can walk or make use of the quick and convenient public transport.

Q. How do I get my visa?

A. F&Y Consultant Ltd can provide support in getting your visa. However, your school will organise the papers needed to get a legal 1-year work visa, this can take between 4-8 weeks.

Q. Will I have to pay for the recruitment process?

A. The simple answer is no, the service provided by F&Y consultant Lts is free of charge. Our sole purpose is to provide all the support you need to find you a suitable teaching role in China.

Q. Will I earn enough money to support myself living in China?

A. An incentive to teaching in China is the average salary compared to the low living costs. For this reason, foreign teachers can save up to half their wage whilst having the possibility to live comfortably. Furthermore, F&Y Consultant Ltd can guarantee a contract in China that provides paid accommodation.

Q. What is TEFL?

A. TEFL stands for Teaching English as a Foreign Language. This is a qualification you need to teach English in a country where this is not the official language spoken. The TEFL course will give sufficient training to teach English to students in a classroom environment at the correct educational level. There are various types of courses including introductory courses, 120-hour online course (the preferred course by many TEFL trainees and required entry-level qualification to teach abroad), specialised courses for one-to-one tuition and advanced courses to teach at degree level.

Q. How do I get a TEFL certificate?

A. You will need to complete an accredited TEFL course, if you complete your TEFL course online you will, in most cases, receive your certificate online.

Q. How much does a TEFL course cost?

A. The cost of a TEFL course can vary depending on the type, of course, you decide to complete.

Introduction courses vary between £100 to £300.

The cost of a 120 hour TEFL course can vary from £100 to £400.

Note: F&Y; Consultant Ltd. can have your TEFL certificate cost reimbursed to you (this is dependent on your chosen school).

Q. What are the required qualifications I need to complete a TEFL course?

A. The first obvious qualification you will need is the ability to speak and write fluently in English, in most cases you will be required to be an English native speaker. An accredited TEFL certificate and a BA (Hons.) degree, this is mainly to do with the requirement for a working visa rather than a TEFL requirement. This means your degree is of importance rather than your degree subject.

Q. I have another question not covered above. Who can I contact?

A. Please use the contact form on this website to send us your query.

For further information on how to attain a TEFL qualification and current ‘school vacancies in China’ please contact or use the contact form on this website.