What is TEFL and how to legally work abroad.
Like the idea of teaching English in China? Yet, stuck on how to do this legally? We are here to help!
This guide on ‘How Do Foreigners Work Legally in China’ will provide you with all the information you need to know about obtaining Work visas and much more!
Legally Work In China, Guidelines
Work Permits and certificates required to work in China!
- Foreigners who wish to work in China must obtain a work permit and a work-type residence permit
- …no entities or individuals can employ foreigners who do not have the above documents.
How you can obtain these documents:
- Apply for work-type residence permit at a public security department.
- Apply online outside of China for Foreigner’s Work Permit Notice.
- Apply for the Foreigners Work Permit at a foreign work manager department.
- Apply for a Z or R visa at a Chinese embassy or consulate.
- What are the requirements needed to work in China?
- Your employer must have the following:
- Obtain approval needed by industrial management departments according to laws and regulations
- Employ foreigners for specialized roles that comply with national regulations, when no suitable Chinese candidates are available (of course this does not affect you as it is a common regulation to employ native English speakers rather than those whose second language is English)
- Be legally established, without a record of illegal behaviour or lack of credit
- Pay foreigners at no less than local minimum wage standards
- You must have the following:
- Be over the age of and in good health
- Have a definite employer in China and the professional skills and knowledge to carry out your role
- Must apply for positions that are in demand in China and facilitate China’s economic growth
- Comply with rules and regulations in foreigners working in China
- A (BA) Degree/TEFL certificate/sufficient experience and training in the specific field
- “SAFEA is in charge of the implementation of the foreigner’s work permit system. The new policy was officially implemented nationwide on April , ”
- items you will need for a foreigner’s work permit application
- application form for a foreigner’s work permit
- job references and proof of qualification
- medical certificate (this can be obtained from your local doctor)
- employment contract or government authorization letter (this will be provided by your school)
- Degree certificate
- No criminal records
Applying for a job
Below is a sample of the process you will need to take from applying for a job, applying for a work permit and starting the job:
- Step 1. Foreign teacher searches and selects school, sends job application to F&Y
- Step 2. F& Y arrange Skype interview for candidates and school
- Step 3. F& Y provides offer letter and contract to candidate (if successful)
- Step 4. Foreign teachers signs contract and provides 3 documents:Passport first page and visa page / Passport photo / BA degree
- Step 5. Foreign teacher signs contract for obtaining a work permit: 1. Cert. of Employment/ 2. TEFL Certificate/ 3. BA Degree/ 4. No criminal record check/ 5. medical report (local doctor)
- Step 6. F& Y submits documents to Foreign Expert Bureau to get the working permit, the working permit and invitation letter is then emailed to the candidate
- Step 7. Foreign teacher applies for a Chinese working visa and buys flight tickets
- Step 8. Foreign teacher arrives in China with an air port pick up service, completes a health check and introduced to new living arrangements
- Step 9. Foreign teacher participates in a teacher training program (3-5 days)
- Step 10.Foreign teacher is shown their school along with all relevant follow-ups
- Step 11. Begin your adventure, start teaching!
Be sure to follow these steps and there will be no problem in obtaining a work visa and permit to legally work in China! I’m sure you are very well aware not to get on the wrong side of the authorities…